April 2010 Archives

« March 2010 | Main | May 2010 »

Win Free Dinner for a Year at Black and Brew! - April 30, 2010

logo.gif

On May 21, 2010, the United Way of Central Florida will draw the names of 25 winners who will each receive a “Year of Free Dinner” voucher to Black & Brew Coffee House & Bistro.

That’s right, 25 people will win free dinner for a year!
Each voucher is worth up to $429 in delicious B&B fare. That includes Black & Brew’s all new menu of delicious Gourmet Flats and new Small Plate appetizers, as well as the sandwiches and salads that you already love. All proceeds go to benefit the United Way of Central Florida and their partner agencies.

So what are you waiting for?!? Make a donation and enter today! Suggested Donation is $10 for 1, $16 for 2, or $20 for 3 chances to win.

Entry forms are available at Black & Brew (205 E. Main Street, Lakeland, FL 33801) and United Way of Central Florida (5605 U.S. Hwy 98 South, Highland City, FL 33846) or you can get them from EMERGE members, Jennifer Denham at jennifer.denham@uwcf.org or Christina Smith at christina.smith@uwcf.org.

Permalink | Comments (0) | More in:

Posted by Emerge Lakeland

May EMERGE member spotlight - April 30, 2010

Spotlight-Velasquez-photo1.jpg
Christina Velazquez
Staffing coordinator at Rita Staffing

Q: How did you come to live/work in Lakeland?
A: I grew up in Lakeland. I found my job at Rita Staffing by attending a job fair at the Lakeland Civic Center.

Q: What do you find most rewarding about your job?
A: I love helping find people the right job. It is very rewarding to see someone happy because they love to go to work every day.

Q: What would you change/add regarding EMERGE to enhance your experience?

A: I am a little shy so I like when there are structured ice breakers (sorry! I know some people don’t like that)

Q: If you could be on any reality show, which would it be and why?
A: The Amazing Race because that would give me the opportunity to travel to various countries and see places that I might not have the opportunity to visit otherwise.

Q: How has your EMERGE Lakeland membership been beneficial to you?

A: Meeting new people and learning about their business has been really beneficial to me. I love to give other businesses referrals. And it is a great compliment to me when someone feels like I have done a good job for them and they refer me to other businesses.

Q: If you could serve on any organization's board in Lakeland, which would it be and why?

A: I think the Lakeland Economic Development Council is a strong organization with quality leadership -- I would like to be more involved with that group.

Q: If you could ask one question of an EMERGE Spotlight member, what would it be?

A: What is the best compliment you have ever received?

Q: What is the worst job you've ever had?

A: Wrapping Christmas gifts!!!

Q: What is the lamest compact disc that you own?

A: New Kids on the Block

Permalink | Comments (0) | More in:

Posted by Emerge Lakeland

Bank of Central Florida is now hiring - April 28, 2010

Bank of Central Florida has a unique Private Banking culture and we are looking for candidates that will maintain and enhance the culture that we have created. We are looking for someone that would be a good addition to our staff.

The Client Service position at South Lakeland accommodates both inside and drive thru clients. We would like the candidate to possess at least 2 – 3 years of teller experience. The candidate needs to be able to conduct business in a positive and friendly manner with the utmost professionalism, be dependable, and punctual. The position is full time with benefit package.

If you are interested or know professionals or anyone from your past business relationships, please forward any names along with phone numbers to Heidi Anderson at heidi.anderson@bankofcentralflorida.com for contact. Please make sure that the individual(s) you recommend are interested in being contacted.

Permalink | Comments (0) | More in: Job Openings

Posted by Emerge Lakeland

Now Hiring @ LAMAR OUTDOOR ADVERTISING - April 13, 2010

LAMAR OUTDOOR ADVERTISING IS LOOKING FOR A DYNAMIC SALESPERSON FOR THE POLK COUNTY MARKET. TO QUALIFY YOU MUST BE A POSITIVE, PERSONABLE, ORGANIZED, AND DISCIPLINED SELF-STARTER. YOU SHOULD POSSESS ABOVE AVERAGE SPEAKING, COMPUTER AND WRITING SKILLS. YOU WILL WORK CLOSELY WITH LOCAL BUSINESS’S SELLING THEM OUTDOOR ADVERTISING. PREVIOUS MEDIA SALES EXPERIENCE IS NOT NECESSARY…WE WILL TRAIN YOU AT OUR EXPENSE.

BENEFITS INCLUDE:
-SALARY + COMMISSION
-MONTHLY AUTO/GAS ALLOWANCE
-HEALTH, DENTAL, VISION
-401K

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THE INCREDIBLE GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES A LAMAR ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE POSITION CAN OFFER, SEND YOUR RESUME TO FAX #863-682-5498, OR EMAIL IT TO BEATON@LAMAR.COM. LAMAR IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER.

Permalink | Comments (0) | More in: Job Openings

Posted by Emerge Lakeland

April EMERGE Member Spotlight- Benny Robles, Jr. - April 5, 2010

Benny Robles, Jr.
Pre-owned sales manager, Bartow Ford

Q. How did you come to live/work in Lakeland?

A. I was born in Brandon, but my father was offered a job as a finance manager at Bartow Ford. We moved to Lakeland and as time went by, he was promoted over and over again until Ernest Smith gave him the opportunity to buy into the company. I started at the dealership when I was 12 years of age washing cars and mowing the lawn and never looked back.

Q. What do you find most rewarding about your job?

A. There are many rewarding aspects of my job. I love meeting new people, and every day is something new. However, probably the most rewarding aspect is working with the employees here at the dealership, many of whom I have grown up with and are like family.

Q. Name one pet peeve.

A. Laziness

Q. How has your EMERGE Lakeland membership been beneficial to you?

A. I have met other successful and up-and-coming individuals who share my same desire to help others and make a difference in the community.

Q. If you could have 50 pounds of anything other than money, what would it be and why?

A. It would be some type of food to give to the needy.

Q. If you could serve on any organization's board in Lakeland, which would it be and why?

A. I already am serving on Polk Works! To be able to help people get on their feet and learn the skills to help better their family's situation makes a great difference, I feel, in the community.

Q. If you could ask one question of an EMERGE Spotlight member, what would it be?
A. In one word, what is the key to being successful?

Q. What is the worst job you've ever had?

A. Cleaning the shelves in the Parts Department.

Q. What are your hobbies and interests?

A. I love all sports and competitive activities. I love traveling. Taking care of four kids is
always a hobby and interest. USTA tennis leagues. I am a huge Bucs fan. My guilty pleasure is shopping.

Spotlight-Robles-photo.JPG

Permalink | Comments (0) | More in: Community Leaders

Posted by Emerge Lakeland

EMERGE Lakeland Volunteers Needed- Green Celebration Concert & Showcase - April 5, 2010

Click Here for More Information

EMERGE Lakeland
Volunteers Needed

HELP!!!! Volunteers are needed to participate in the Green Celebration Concert and Showcase. This eco-friendly event will take place on April 16th at Lakeland’s Lake Mirror Promenade to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Earth Day.
All EMERGE volunteers will receive a FREE event t-shirt! We’re proud to announce that the EMERGE logo will appear on all marketing materials and we will be recognized during the event in exchange for our volunteer efforts, so your participation is crucial. Various volunteer duties and shifts

Permalink | Comments (0) | More in: Random Rants

Posted by Emerge Lakeland

Family Fun Center: Manager Position Available - April 5, 2010

Job Title: Manager
Reports to: General Manager
Salary Range: $29K – 45K
Hour Requirements: 40-45 hours/ week including 35-40 hours shift management.

SUMMARY
Manage the operational day-to-day activities of the facility. Plan and develop systems and procedures to improve the operating quality and efficiency of the facility. Supervise staff in accordance with company policies and procedures. Responsible for hiring, training, and coaching employees.

For more information, please contact Brian@TheFamilyFunCenter.com

Job Description

Permalink | Comments (0) | More in: Job Openings

Posted by Emerge Lakeland

*All blog posts and comments are the opinions of the blog author or comment poster and do not necessarily represent the views of EMERGE Lakeland.

P 863/688-8551 ext. 228 info@emergelakeland.com