Category Archives

Upcoming Events

July 2010 Archives

« June 2010 | Main | August 2010 »

August EMERGE Member Spotlight - July 26, 2010

Spotlight-Saulter-Photo.jpg
Sheree Saulter - Community Relations Coordinator at Webster University

Q: What brought you to Lakeland originally?

A: I moved here from New York because of an opportunity with a family-owned
business.

Q: What do you find most rewarding about your job?

A: In my position, I have the opportunity to encourage people with hope that
they can accomplish anything they put their mind to.

Q: Why did you join Emerge Lakeland, and what part of being a member
have you found most beneficial?

A: I joined Emerge Lakeland because I wanted to connect with motivated young
people.

Q: Name one fact about you that people would be surprised to learn.

A: When I was much younger I was a double dutch. I did a McDonald's double
dutch commercial and traveled to Japan to perform.

Q: What is your favorite movie?

A: Love and Basketball

Q: What is the lamest CD or movie that you own?

A: All my CDs and movies are good. They may not be in the eyes of my children,
but they are to me. LOL

Q: Name one of your favorite Lakeland events and tell us why it's your
favorite.

A: My favorite event is the CommUnity Celebration because this increases
awareness of various cultures within our community.

Q: Name one guilty pleasure.

A: I love chocolate and can't get enough.

Q: What is the worst job you've ever had?

A: Telemarketing. I lasted two weeks. The people I had to call were really
obnoxious.

Q: Name one pet peeve.

A: One of my biggest pet peeves is when people complain about nothing to do
here in Lakeland or at their church, or any other organization. Why don't
they stop complaining and try to find ways to make things happen? Whining
never changes anything.

Permalink | Comments (0) | More in:

Posted by Emerge Lakeland

Now Accepting applications for the EMERGE Lakeland Peer to Peer Program - July 19, 2010

EMERGE Lakeland is proud it announce its 3rd Annual P2P (Peer-To-Peer) Program. P2P was developed for young professionals that are new to Lakeland or have recently returned to Lakeland. Participants in the P2P program do not have to be current EMERGE members. P2P aims to enrich the professional development of Lakeland's young professionals by partnering them with existing EMERGE Lakeland members. Each event is aimed at connecting the participant with the Lakeland community, helping to retain good local talent and providing volunteer opportunities within the community.

Please pass this information on to your staff members that qualify and may benefit from this program. The 2010 class is limited to 25 participants. Attached is information about the program, the application and payment information.

Information is also available at www.emergelakeland.com/p2p/

Download file

Permalink | Comments (0) | More in: Community Leaders

Posted by Emerge Lakeland

Back To School Blast...Volunteers Needed - July 9, 2010

Every child deserves a chance to succeed and the annual Back To School Blast is our way of ensuring as many as possible have all the necessary supplies, screenings and information for the new school year.

If you and your friends, family, neighbors or business associates would like to participate, please contact Cauney Bamberg and she will forward you a copy of the Volunteer Job Responsibilities. Your participation and help in this annual program is critical as it is one of Polk County's largest outreach activities sponsored by Family Fundamentals.

Thank you for considering your involvement.

Cauney B. Bamberg
Watson Clinic Foundation, Executive Director
100 S. Kentucky Ave., Ste. 255, Lkld., 33801
P: 863.802.6220
F: 863.688-3857
CBamberg@watsonclinic.com

Permalink | Comments (0) | More in: Volunteerism

Posted by Emerge Lakeland

P2P Mentors Needed! - July 9, 2010

The 3rd annual P2P program is set to begin in August and we need our outstanding EMERGE members to participate as mentors. If you love Lakeland and have inherent leadership qualities then you are the perfect person to serve as a mentor for the program. The program begins in August 2010 and ends in May 2011. If you are interested, contact Cindy Green at cgreen@furrandwegman.com for more information regarding the mentor responsibilities.

Permalink | Comments (0) | More in:

Posted by Emerge Lakeland

July Member Spotlight- Meredith Spesser - July 1, 2010

Public relations and marketing manager, Polk Museum of Art

Q. How did you come to live/work in Lakeland?

A. I was born in Lakeland. The only time I have not lived here was from about 1989 – 1992, and I was in Lake City, Florida then. I even lived here while I was commuting to college at USF Tampa.

Q. What do you find most rewarding about your job?

A. I get to work in the arts! Most of my friends are shocked that someone with an art degree is making her living in the arts in Polk County.

Q. What would you change/add regarding EMERGE to enhance your experience?

A. I have been very happy with my EMERGE experience, so I can’t think of anything I would change or add.

Q. What is the oddest talent that you possess?

A. I don’t think I have any odd talents! Just normal ones: I can draw your portrait, I bake great cakes, and I’m a good writer.

Q. How has your EMERGE Lakeland membership been beneficial to you?

A. EMERGE has helped me to get out of my shell. I am, by nature, a bit of a hermit, and by forcing myself into these social situations, I feel I have been able to develop a part of myself that was hiding before. It has also reinforced my growing belief in community involvement.

Q. If you could serve on any organization's board in Lakeland, which would it be and why?

A. I already serve on the board I’m most passionate about: Florida Dance Theatre! I started taking lessons there as an adult (and I’m still taking lessons), and my love and appreciation for the art form has grown tremendously. I feel like we have a huge and overlooked asset in FDT, and it needs to be fostered.

Q. If you could ask one question of an EMERGE Spotlight member, what would it be?

A. I don’t know…

Q. What is the worst job you've ever had?

A. I think that’s a tie between working in a fish restaurant and reorganizing medical records one summer. I came home smelling like fried fish from the first one, and the other one was just monotonous torture.

Q. What is the lamest compact disc that you own?

A. I think I’ll have to go with my Xanadu soundtrack for this one. And I’m talking about the movie, not the Broadway stage show. Although I love that movie, it’s MST3K bad.

Editor’s Note: OK, we’ll admit it. We had to look up MST3K, and it stands for Mystery Science Theater 3000, for those of you who were as clueless as us.

Spotlight-Spresser-Photo_2.jpg

Permalink | Comments (0) | More in:

Posted by Emerge Lakeland

Applications Being Accepted for Citizens Police Academy - July 1, 2010

LAKELAND, FL (June 28, 2010) – The Lakeland Police department is accepting applications for the 2010 Citizens Police Academy which is scheduled to begin on August 19, 2010. This is a great opportunity for citizens to get a behind the scenes look at the various responsibilities and daily challenges facing the Lakeland Police Department.

This year's academy will span 14 weeks and will be held on Thursday evenings from 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM at the police station. Classes will include segments on the K-9 unit, gang awareness, crime scene investigations, officer survival techniques, SWAT team and many other components of the policing responsibilities in Lakeland. Also included in the curriculum is a tour of the police station, a day at the shooting range and the opportunity to ride with a patrol officer.

The academy is free to all citizens eighteen years of age or older. Class size is limited to 50 participants, so register now!

For applications or additional information, contact Dr. Greg Robinson at (863) 834-6912 or at greg.robinson@lakelandgov.net. The deadline for applications is July 9, 2010.

CONTACT:

Greg Robinson

Supervisor, Community Services Unit

Lakeland Police Department

863/834-6912

greg.robinson@lakelandgov.net

Permalink | Comments (0) | More in:

Posted by Emerge Lakeland

*All blog posts and comments are the opinions of the blog author or comment poster and do not necessarily represent the views of EMERGE Lakeland.

P 863/688-8551 ext. 228 info@emergelakeland.com