November 08, 2011
STUDENTS WORKING AGAINST TOBACCO (SWAT) COORDINATOR
Position Description: Students Working Against Tobacco (SWAT) Coordinator
Position: Half-time OPS
Location: Polk County, See Stipulations
Jobsite: Polk County Health Department
Timeline: November 15, 2011 - June 30, 2012
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or equivalent work experience in public health, education, or community outreach experience required.
This temporary OPS half-time, highly responsible position will serve as a SWAT Coordinator. This position will be responsible for coordinating the development of the Polk County SWAT Program This position will facilitate SWAT Club and SWAT Chapter meetings and activities on the local level. The activities focus on: (1) preventing initiation among youth and young adults; (2) eliminating secondhand smoke exposure and; (3) promoting cessation from tobacco use. Experience working with youth and young adults, in public speaking and skills in various software programs and in using alternative electronic media will be required. The SWAT Coordinator will work from Bartow PCHD and service locations throughout the county. This position is a halftime grant funded position with specific milestones and deliverables pre-determined as called for in the work plan. There will be some weekend and evening hours and travel is required.
Responsibilities include but not limited to: 1. Work with local schools and youth organizations to maintain existing local SWAT clubs and establish new clubs.
2. Maintain one (1) countywide SWAT Chapter with representation from the local SWAT clubs following membership guidelines and by-laws.
3. Recruit youth to local SWAT clubs, the countywide SWAT Chapter and the Tobacco Free Partnership.
4. Assist SWAT youth in planning, implementing, and completing activities related to both the SWAT Program and the Tobacco Free Partnership.
5. Coordinate all presentations and trainings with the youth.
6. Attend and participate in Tobacco Free Partnership events and trainings as appropriate and attend Partnership meetings.
7. Coordinate with SWAT youth to prepare report detailing SWAT activities during the monthly SWAT meetings.
8. Recruit and maintain SWAT advisors at schools and other community-based organizations to assist with coordinating meetings.
9. Coordinate with SWAT advisors to maintain SWAT club meetings and activities.
10. Coordinate all SWAT Chapter and club meetings and events, including drafting agendas and assigning responsibilities to youth and advisors.
11. Coordinate with other tobacco program staff for youth involvement in advocacy trainings and policy change initiatives.
12. Transport and chaperone youth at events/trainings
13. Serve as a mentor to SWAT youth by providing a positive role model of effective leadership and empowerment.
14. Correspond with youth via appropriate media regarding meetings, presentations, events, and programs.
15. Promote youth empowerment by facilitating activities to increase knowledge of tobacco issues.
16. Submit regular reports as required to ensure appropriate progress on work plans.
Annual Salary Range: $22,000 - $35,000
Announcement Type: Open Competitive
Interested applicants must complete the online application.
Posted by Emerge Lakeland at November 8, 2011 12:26 PM
*All blog posts and comments are the opinions of the blog author or comment poster and do not necessarily represent the views of EMERGE Lakeland.